Connecting case fans to Motherboard

If you have question regarding Cooler Master Products offering in European Region post here

Moderator: CM Moderator

Connecting case fans to Motherboard

Postby MG Man on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:06 am

I have recently purchased a Cooler Master Cavalier 3 case and an ASUS P5K AiLifestyle Series IP35 to build a new system. The two case fans have Molex connectors on them. The Motherboard has provision for two case fans to be connnected and controlled by the motherboard software. The problem is that the connectors on the motherboard require the fans to have a small socket with three connectors on them. The motherboard has male connectors and I require female to mate them to the motherboard. There was an adapter with the case, but this converts the Molex to a small 3 pin male connector, but I need the female version.

Can I buy these anywhere? Since buying the Cavalier case I have bought 2 further Cooler Master cases for PCs for my Dad and a friend and these both have the correct connectors to connect to the motherboard. Why wasn't the Cavalier supplied with these connectors?
Last edited by MG Man on Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MG Man
LED Head

Postby knud on Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:39 am

please send an email to support@coolermaster.nl
CM Parts shop
QX6850 @ 3.2 Ghz | Abit IP35pro | OCZ DDR2-800 4gb Reaper | Leadtek 8800GTX | WD Raptor 74GB | ATCS 840 | CM Real Power M700 | 1x CM Aerogate 3 | Z600 Black
knud
Cooler than Cooler Master!

Thanks knud//elessar

Postby MG Man on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:14 am

I'll email from home this evening, as I'm at work at the moment!

MG Man
MG Man
LED Head

FAO: knud / elessar

Postby MG Man on Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:47 am

I emailed on Wednesday evening as suggested, but have not yet had a response. How soon am I likely to have a response?
MG Man
LED Head

Postby Zenphic on Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:09 pm

Whoa, that's a rly weird problem... Odd that a case fan only has a molex connector to it.

Anyway, I don't think you'll be able to control the fan if the case fan only has a molex connector to it. The fan needs to have a connector with the three pins originally so the motherboard can detect the fan's speed. If you get a molex-to-female-3-pin adapter and plug it to the molex of the fan, the fan wouldn't be reporting its fan speeds to the motherboard, hence no fan speed monitoring = no fan speed control. I THINK. :(

If that's the case, I would recommend purchasing a fan controller, such as something from CM or a simply Zalman Fanmate should do.
Zenphic
Stacker Hacker

Re: Connecting case fans to Motherboard

Postby carischila on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:49 am

Motherboard fan removed for cleaning, after returning it my PC did not work anymore? Is it prohibited to remove that fan attached to motherboard? What should I do aside from bringing it to the technician? Can I possibly fix this myself alone & how?
Last edited by carischila on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
carischila
LED Head

Re: Connecting case fans to Motherboard

Postby Maxession on Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:52 am

carischila wrote:Motherboard fan removed for cleaning, after returning it my PC did not work anymore? Is it prohibited to remove that fan attached to motherboard? What should I do aside from bringing it to the technician? Can I possibly fix this myself alone & how?

Which fan do you mean? The one on the CPU block, or the small one above the chipset? (if you have one there at least)
Did you reconnected the cable properly?
Did you reconnected your power cables?
Maxession
CM Moderator

Return to European Technical Support