X-Craft 250 USB/eSATA on Mac OSX 10.5.6

If you have question regarding Cooler Master Products offering in European Region post here

Moderator: CM Moderator

X-Craft 250 USB/eSATA on Mac OSX 10.5.6

Postby orange.x on Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:52 am

Good evening,

I bought about two weeks ago a Coolermaster X-Craft 250 for my Macbook Pro. I build in my hard drive and mounted it to my Macbook Pro while I was using Windows XP. No problems there.
But when I want to use it on Mac OSX, there just happens... nothing. It gets power, the drive spins up, but the led gives me a rose led indication and nothing more.

I installed the driver for OSX 10.5.2 but that also didn't help.

What can I do to make it work? Because, when the package sais "OS: Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP Mac 9.1 higher/ 10.2 higher", it means that is has to work but it doesn't. So how are we going to do this? Because I can't bring the product back, the won't return me my money.... And now I have a product that claims to work but doesn't...

Kind regards, Mark van Wolfswinkel
orange.x
LED Head

Re: X-Craft 250 USB/eSATA on Mac OSX 10.5.6

Postby orange.x on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:49 am

Kick.
Somebody can help me with my problem?
orange.x
LED Head

Postby mouton on Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:03 am

Same issue there, the disk is not working anymore since the last update... previously I had figured out how to make this work, despite your crapy drivers, the lack and support and the need to unplug it from my macbook pro before booting, but I have no clue....

I post here with no real hope, support was really bad last time, at least a week to get a amswer that just says nothing, and nearly a year to build an OSX driver that does not work after an upgrade... I think Cooler Master build beautiful product, but they have no time nor desire to make it work on Apple hardware, and they should not brand it as "OSX compatible". My last case was an Akasa, an so far so good....
mouton
Aerogate Geek

Postby orange.x on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:20 am

Goodday everybody!

I had some communication with the Dutch Coolermaster Support and they gave me a sort of workaround that is also provided throughout the support part of the website.

Via this website ( http://www.coolermaster.com/support/faq ... n&fid=1766 ) you can see what to do and it helped me to get it work. I deleted the .kext file they mention, restarted the Mac with 10.5.6, installed the package you can get with this link: http://www.coolermaster.com/support/dl. ... AC_ALL.pkg and plugged in my X-Craft 250... and it just worked... Can somebody test this also..?

I just recieved an update from the Dutch Support telling me that it doesn't work on every installation. But they we're working on it... Don't know if that "working on it" is true... But it works for me though!

Guess it's worth a try, and I would recommend to backup the .kext file so you still have it when it doesn't work :)
orange.x
LED Head

Postby Jacques Mathias on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:15 am

Hello orange.x,

I am Jacques from Brasil, and English isn't my language, so excuse me :D

I have bought a X Craft 310 for my IMAC Intel, 20. I can't sat enough words to describe how frustrated i am. I have bought because we can read on the box it's Mac-compatible.

It would be honest to write on the box:

" This product seems to be working on Leopard, or at least it should. If it doesn't, please make a cup of tea and loose a bit of time trying to make it work. "

I really hope they work on it. Right now, it just can't be used on professional applications.

Jacques.
Jacques Mathias
LED Head

Postby neverXmiss on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:34 am

They are working on it, they have to work on it in every update mac releases, so say we release the .5.6 update, if they bring out .7 we have to work on it again.
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ stock
CPU Cooler: CM V8
Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 260 SLI
RAM: Corsair XMS 3 GB Triple Channel + Crucial Ballistix 3GB
PSU: CM Silent Pro 700W
Case: Storm Sniper Black Edition
--------
NA Division Live Chat
neverXmiss
CMUSA Customer Support

Postby Jacques Mathias on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:33 am

neverXmiss

Thanks for your answer.

I would like to say that i totally understand that. I have been working with software's companies as well. So, i am used to this "update game" each time MAC releases something new. That is ok.

However my issue has nothing to do with any MAC latest releases, such as 10.5.6.
I am still using 10.5.2 and want to update soon. So, if 10.5.2 is an "old" version, i guess my X craft 310 should work, right?
I have tried on PC machines ( 3 of them ,with different hardware configurations, works on every USB port ).
To make it work on MAC i need spend something like 3 or 4 hours. Restarting computer, plugging into different USB ports, and so on. So, it seems there is some serious issue here.

Note that i have formated and partitioned on Leopard. It goes smooth. Verify disk goes ok = "appears to be ok".
System Profiler shows it when i hook up. But doesn't mount.

As long as it mounts, works great though! Love the design, it is silent, and i would buy another one. Although, i know a lot of people whose can't mount it on MAC.

Hope you guys find a solution.

Thanks,

Jacques.
Jacques Mathias
LED Head

Postby Tunafish on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:59 am

I successfully used the provided driver on 10.5.6. The catch is that you have to manually remove the existing .kext. Personally I extracted the .pkg and exchanged the .kext files myself without the installer.

The situation on this is more than dissatisfying. The problem seems to be present for (almost) over a year. Apparently a solution is known (who provided the fix in the first place? Did Cooler Master come up with this or did DATAST0R gave a helping hand here?) however Apple/Cooler Master/DATAST0R seem to be unable to communicate with each other to provide a permanent solution for users.

The DATAST0R hardware controller (which is build into this Cooler Master product line) seems to behave in a way that needs special treatment compared to other USB mass storage controllers on the market.

The Linux kernel acknowledge this with the folllowing comments in the kernel source code:
Code: Select all
/*
* Device SATA8000 FW1.0 from DATAST0R Technology Corp requires about
* 10 seconds to send reply for the initial 64-byte descriptor request.
*/

If DATAST0R is unable to cooperate with Apple directly I really encourage Cooler Master to step here and cooperate with Apple to come up with a solution. It is ridiculous that support for these devices on MAC is broken for over a year while the products sheet still states otherwise.

Oh and.. I bought an external enclosure to have an easy way of data exchange. It is not feasible that I have to install a special driver on each Apple machine I approach. I don't have administrative access to some of these machines anyway!

Other than that the driver seems not to be updated anymore? So I had to overwrite the official Apple driver with some older, hacked version. That basically means that I miss 4 minor version of the driver with bug fixes and additional features from Apple? Oh come on.. release at least the modified source code of the 10.5.2 driver so that someone can at least provide updated versions of the driver..
Tunafish
LED Head

Postby Paulop on Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:57 am

Does anyone have any news about the support of the X-Craft 250 in the next Mac Os X update ? (10.5.7)
Paulop
LED Head

Postby Tunafish on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:38 pm

The last news I have read stated something like that Apple "encourages people to focus on USB (thumb) drives" in one of the latest seeds for the 10.5.7 update. I guess we can't tell what that means until it gets out.
Tunafish
LED Head

Postby Paulop on Sat May 16, 2009 2:35 pm

Mac Os X 20.5.7 update is released but it still doesn't work.
Paulop
LED Head

Postby Tunafish on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:54 am

10.5.8 is released. It seems to me that my X-Craft 250 is now working again after a long time. Can anyone confirm? Or is my hacked .kext still doing all the work?
Tunafish
LED Head

Return to European Technical Support