Name of your mod: GreenThunder
Cooler Master products you have used:
120mm exhaust fan
http://darkacid.iridiumhost.com/greenth ... tShot3.jpg
80mm intake fan
http://darkacid.iridiumhost.com/greenth ... tShot4.jpg
50mm fan(modded for chipset cooler)
http://darkacid.iridiumhost.com/greenth ... tShot2.jpg
Centurion 5 Case
http://darkacid.iridiumhost.com/greenth ... tShot5.jpg
Description of your case:
I'm using the CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Case. Here are a few pics of it.
It took me ages to find a place in Australia that sells fine line tape, but I found one the other day. Here are the two rolls I got.
I was originally going to bondo in the flat mesh part here, and either hammer in then bondo the curved fan part, or cut it out and put new metal then bondo. I'm still undecided, at first I wanted to have completely flat panels with nothing on them so that I could have a clean canvas so to speak for my paintjob.
I started doing some sketches which all turned out fairly crap. So I got some flames off the net but I can't draw them myself onto the panel larger since they are not the type of flames I draw and they don't look right when I try to do them. I can do different flames quite well, but they arent coming up well on the side panel. So I've decided to do a lightning type flame things.
I just used a bit of the tape here to try it out and just freehanded this thing in tape which is what I mean by lightning flame things
The design will cover the case sides and top and the colour I choose for the flames will be used on the side bar things on the front bezel and also the control panel etc.
I taped up the case for the lightning/flames. I still have to sort out the transferite paper, or just use heaps of masking tape, and also get the paint. Anyway, here are a couple of pics, just to see the design I came up with. I didn't copy it from anyone, I just got out the tape and freehanded it straight on there, it looks good to me but everyone has a different opinion, so I'd like to hear what you guys think.
Top + Left Side
Top + Right Side
I cleaned up the fineline tape joins, and masked off the rest of the case using good quality masking tape.
I wetsanded the thunderflamethings after they were taped up, but i kept a clean rag with me so each time i sanded i wiped away the water from the paper so it didnt soak into the tape and loosen it.
First dusty coat of the paint i chose were laid down the other night.
I decided to have the plastic part of the bezel at the top and bottom painted too. So I've sanded away the plastic texture it had, and put on some spray putty/primer to make it smooth before I paint.
These are the side rails for the bezel with their first coat.
And these are the front control panel type things. its only the first coat but I don't think they will come up well, I might need to sand off the paint and prime it with white first.
I laid down one more coat of green, and then left it for 15 mins to harden up a bit, but not so much that the paint would crack when stripping off the masking.
Top Last Coat
Top Masking Removed
Right Panel Last Coat
Right Panel Masking Removed
Left Panel Last Coat
Left Panel Masking Removed
And a few shots with the masking removed and the case panels on.
The front bezel, side strips, and control panels.
Here is what needs to be put back in - drive bay covers, front bezel mesh, and also I'm putting in a Green UV 80mm Antec fan into the side panel.
I put the front bezel back together and put it on.
Front Bezel Reassembled.
Clipping on the front control panels.
A few shots with the bezel on. (I'm really happy with how this looks)
I put in some green LEDs into the green UV Antec fan I had.
And wired it into the fan power wires of the 120mm exhaust fan using an audio jack, so it can be easily disconnected when removing the side panel.
I wired it into the 12V line, everything worked fine, except it was too loud for my liking, so then I rewired it, this time into the 5V line, mm nice and quiet, but the LEDs no longer work, dam I should have realised and wired them up seperately. More work for tomorrow
This is the VFD/LCD that I will be using, just a 16 x 2 green character display.
This is where it will be installed, in the 3 1/4 bay for a floppy drive. Looking at this pic its obvious there is no real easy way to mount it. I will have to make custom mounts.
Here is the space for the screen cut in the drive bay cover.
My custom monuts made from acrylic finished, these took a good few hours of using different materials and designs until I found one that I managed to get to work.
The front of it repainted in black since I scratched it up a bit while making the monuts. The screen has masking over it to protect it from the paint.
Stealthing the Drive.
Bay cover marked for cutting.
Cut and filed.
The front of the DVD RW.
I sanded the ridge off.
I glued the bay cover onto the DVD RW front using all purpose glue, then gave it a few coats of black gloss. This way I can take off the stealth cover if I want to. It just pops on and off like a normal drive faceplate.
Installed my system.
And the completed front bezel including the display and stealthed drive.