Core i7 running very hot?

Windows, Linux, Mac -- hardware and software discussion.

Moderator: CM Moderator

Core i7 running very hot?

Postby azvenigo on Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:10 pm

Does anyone else notice the Core i7 running really hot?

With the stock cooler under stress conditions I once saw the temp up over 90 celcius! With the V8 under the same conditions it's around 75 which is much better, but still...... And this was with the case open so it didn't have to do with ambient temp. I'm not even overclocking.

I'm using Asus PC Probe II util.

Asus P6T motherboard running the Intel Core i7 920.
azvenigo
Aerogate Geek

Re: Core i7 running very hot?

Postby jbjtkbw00 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:29 pm

Not that it will reduce it a lot if you truly have a heating issue, but it's never really good to test temps with the side of the case open because you lose all of the benefits of your case's airflow design. Also, how's your thermal paste? Too much or not enough (or just plain bad contact or type of paste) can all affect your temps too.
Rig too much for my Sig.
jbjtkbw00
CM Beta Tester

Postby azvenigo on Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:36 pm

Well first I wanted to isolate the CPU temperature to just the cooler. With the case closed temperatures do go up a bit, but I'm just wondering what others are seeing from the Core i7.

What's a safe range for the CPU? And what's a safe range for the motherboard? (Surprisingly little info available by Googling that.)
azvenigo
Aerogate Geek

Postby jbjtkbw00 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:44 pm

I think some of your questions would be dependant on various factors. 90c is REALLY hot IMO. I had a previous processor running up there and constant crashing/rebooting. I don't know much about the i7 and what's considered safe, but to me, that seems WAY hot. I stress tested my proc (AMD Phenom 9950 BE) on Sunday for sh*ts and giggles and I never broke 59c (liquid cooled using the Aquagate Max) and the ambient temp was around 23c (upstairs in a townhouse).
Rig too much for my Sig.
jbjtkbw00
CM Beta Tester

Postby azvenigo on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:44 pm

Not all processors are created equal. :) I read in a couple of places the the i7 is ok as long as it's under 100 celcius.

With the CM things are definitely cooler than the stock one.
azvenigo
Aerogate Geek

Postby EsaT on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:12 pm

Did you use Intel Burn Test or OCCT? Those can give really high temps.
And use CoreTemp or RealTemp instead of motherboard makers software which might be even showing something else than CPU temperature. (or incorrect reading because of new CPU with different specs)

Also one reason for high temperatures could be concave CPU heatspreader which would mean higher thermal resistance at point (above die) where lowest thermal resistance would be most important.

jbjtkbw00 wrote:never really good to test temps with the side of the case open because you lose all of the benefits of your case's airflow design.
Most cases don't anymore have real case airflow because holes in everywhere remove that possibility.
jbjtkbw00 wrote:I stress tested my proc (AMD Phenom 9950 BE) on Sunday for sh*ts and giggles and I never broke 59c (liquid cooled using the Aquagate Max)
Different CPUs have sensor in different places making direct comparison pointless... your CPU is actually about the worst power hog since P4s so in reality it's very hot running.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
-George Bernard Shaw
EsaT
Stacker Hacker

Postby neverXmiss on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:17 pm

How is the fan oriented? is the V8 logo right side up? whats your room temperature?
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ stock
CPU Cooler: CM V8
Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 260 SLI
RAM: Corsair XMS 3 GB Triple Channel + Crucial Ballistix 3GB
PSU: CM Silent Pro 700W
Case: Storm Sniper Black Edition
--------
NA Division Live Chat
neverXmiss
CMUSA Customer Support

Postby jbjtkbw00 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:19 pm

EsaT wrote:Most cases don't anymore have real case airflow because holes in everywhere remove that possibility.

I can't speak for most cases since I've primarily been using Cooler Master cases for building, but I don't know. It seems to me that airflow is a high priority with Cooler Master cases at least, and the majority of their cases have been designed around that. Even looking at the HAF 932, it may have many, many openings, but in my examinations of the air flowing through when fired up, there is a logical flow within the design.

Now, I'm not saying you're incorrect. Not in the least since I've just really begun looking at cooling overall since around May of last year, but I still believe that case design still takes airflow into high consideration in their design. I'm sure the other side to that coin is the builder ensuring somewhat decent cable routing and placement of components, but overall, I truly believe airflow is still a priority.

Anyone else care to chime in with their thoughts? I'd really like to hear more.
Rig too much for my Sig.
jbjtkbw00
CM Beta Tester

Postby RaptorFury on Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:58 pm

downl;oad the latest version of Realtemp asus probe suxors. start making sure the cpu cooler is firmly hitting the CPU. whats the power supply in use? is it from another compy or is it a fresh one?

also dont do a small drop or spread the thermal paste around like most manus have you do use a five drop pattern 1 center and put 4 more from the center to each corner. should look like the #5 on dice. small drops not huge ones.
Mini Me
Core i7 970 @ 4.2 GHz, Asus R2E, 6 gigs Crucial 1333MHz @ 1680 8-8-8-24, 2 AMD 6970 vids, 1 Patriot Torqx 128 SSD (main OS), 4 Seagate momentus 320 gig HDDs in RAID 0 (App install), 1 Western Digital 1 TB HDD as back up, 1 Lite on DVD burner drive
RaptorFury
CM Wave-meister

Return to PC Knowledge